Wednesday, September 28, 2011

New Cotswolds at Lambs Run


Meet Lucy and Ethel, these two Cotswold Sheep joined our flock today.
They were raised on Lange Rock Farm near New Germany. Today we found them munching on carrotts and oats for speedy capture, and it was quite easy to pick our two from the ewes available. Beautiful confirmation, as well as shinny curly locks and friendly manners all helped us make our choice. These are the first Registered Ewes to come to the farm, although we have several pure breed tattooed Ewes and Lambs we have never had the papers for them. Over the years we have also used several Cotswold Rams also from purebreed stock, but unregistered.
We do not plan to breed these young ewes this year but hope to have some good sturdy offspring in 2013. In the meantime I will be enjoying playing with the fleece. Our Registered Ram-John David gave us many beautiful lambs this year, and will continue to for next spring, but he will not get to meet these lovely ladies until next fall.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marilyn,
    Love your new Cotswolds! I just got two 3/4 Cotswold and 1/4 Shetland recently from Hidden Meadow Farm in the Valley. They are so cute - quite a bit smaller than yours yet. I think you actually met my partner Richard, at a workshop for small businesses. He was the one who was in the process of buying a blueberry winery...do you remember? He told me about you and at the time I was still in Iowa but he was excited to find a "fibre person" for me! Anyway, the winery plan has fallen flat because the former owner didn't come through on transfer of the recipes or teaching us how to use the equipment. It is a huge disappointment for us, and now we're trying to decide how to use our land and facilities. Hope to meet you sometime - the valley is about 3.5 hours drive for us so we don't get out there nearly as often as we'd like. I hope I might see you at the Amherst NS Fibre Festival? I'm a vendor there this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful looking Cotswold. I have two of my own, a breeding pair not yet a year old. I'll breed them this fall. I can't wait to see what their wool will be like. I blog at: http://moonmeadow.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete